Monday, January 24, 2011

Photographing Your Art - Part 4. "Staying focused" and Minimizing Blur

This post is mainly for those with SLR camera's, instead of the point&shoots.
I prefer to use a longer shutter timing so that requires a tripod. Without one you're confined to keeping your shutter timing really fast.
In my dark studio where it can be hard to see camera controls, I let my autofocus dial it in for me, and then slide the focus button to manual for additional shots so it won't keep refocusing. If you move your camera or your artwork, remember to re-autofocus before shooting more pics.
If you use a longer shutter timing, just the act of pushing the shutter button can cause enough camera shake to blur your image. A remote shutter release (a cable that plugs into your camera with a shutter button on the other end) will overcome that problem, but if you don't have one use the delayed timer setting on your camera. A setting of a second or two will do the trick. It only needs to be delayed long enough to allow you to get your hand off the shutter button and have the camera stop shaking before the shutter opens.

As I said at the start of this series of posts, I don't claim to be an expert at any of this. I'm just sharing what I've found has helped me. If any of you are struggling with the same problems that I had, I hope you'll find some of this helpful, because we all want to see pictures of your art. Good ones! :)

Click here to visit my blog and see what's been on my easel lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment